How do we get Safe Streets Statewide
We need to be telling our State Legislators that we must use the coming infrastructure money to prioritize repairing our roads/bridges while considering safety and multimodal accessibility improvements as part of the repair process. Find your representatives today and tell them that is how your want our tax dollars going.
One important thing to understand about getting safe streets in your neighborhood is that there are barriers the State of Michigan put up to prevent municipalities from making their streets safer. In other words, the State makes it ILLEGAL to do certain things which helps to make streets safer.
Did you know that in the State of Michigan it is illegal to:
Install automatic traffic enforcement cameras to hold dangerous drivers accountable
Reduce the speed limit below 25 MPH on residential streets
Other than the items above, it is important to know what else the State could do to make all of our streets safer:
Eliminate right turning on red
Update DOTs priorities
Make them have responsibility for crashes on their roads
Develop and fund a statewide bikepath network
We currently have only the Iron Belle Trail (still uncompleted)
Write legislation that requires localized speed limiters installed on every car sold in the State
The State could also adopt a "transportation bill of rights" as non-profits are suggesting in Washington State.
1. No one dies or is seriously injured traveling on state roads, streets, and sidewalks
2. Every household can access groceries within 20 minutes without a car
3. No one today is harmed by pollution or noise from transportation
4. Protection from the climate crisis today for future generations
5. All trips less than one mile are easily and enjoyably achieved by non-vehicle travel including for people with disabilities
6. No household should spend more than 45 percent of its income on housing, transportation, and energy
7. Every child who wants to can bike, walk, or roll safely to school
8. Transit service is frequent and spans the day and night so people can get to work and come back
9. The pursuit of happiness does not require a car